The end of June, I had the opportunity to test the Street Smart Sweatshirt Collection for Little Kiwi’s Closet. I blogged about it here. Danica’s doesn’t fit as nicely as it did. She grew this summer. And since we’ve had some cold days I wanted to whip her up a new one.
The Fabricland closest to me is closing. I think that whole end of the mall is being turned into a super market. That’s what the ladies at Fabricland told me anyway. This fleece was on sale for $4/m. I bought the last 1.5m of it. I have some left over for River and Elle. Probably not enough for full sweaters for each of them, but they’ll both get something using it. The sparkly red fabric was a top my MIL was getting rid of.
Originally the hem band was a solid red. It looked like a good match when it was in my sewing room. Not so much in the real light. Uuuuuuugh!!! And I didn’t have enough of the top left to make a new hem band without piecing it together. Double uuuuuuugh!!!
It bothered me enough that I didn’t end up piecing the remaining scraps from the shirt together to make a new hem band. I was also worried that the glittery fabric didn’t have enough stability to it. I lined it with the red hem band ribbing that I originally had on the sweater. Problem solved. The fabrics all matches and the hem band had some strength to it.
Elle was the only one awake when I finished the hem band reconstruction. So, of course she had to try it on.
I also switched up the pockets a bit. Instead of a kangaroo pocket on the front, I chose to do side seam pockets. Since its a large print pattern, I didn’t want to lose one whole ballerina by putting on the kangaroo pocket. If it was a smaller print, I wouldn’t have had an issue. But, I wanted Danica to have as many full ballerinas as possible.