I can’t believe my oldest girl is five! FIVE!!
She asked me for a Belle (Beauty and The Beast) dress for her birthday. Which, I had zero motivation to do. Yellows are not my favourite colour.
It took me a lot longer than it should have. I played around with my narrow hemmer foot, which I’ve never used before. So, that accounts for a good portion of the time. I also played with my ruffler foot, which I think I might be in love with. Any excuse to bust out my ruffler foot. I also mashed up four different patterns/tutorials, plus my own ideas to make it. That took time to jump between all of the different directions. It’s far from perfect, but it’s passable.
I accidentally woke Danica up. She’s sleeping in my bed because Danny is gone. She says it is so I won’t miss him. I think that’s just an excuse. I accidentally woke her up when I came to bed, so she’s already seen her dress. She sat bolt up and squealed about her dress. That’s a great response!
Now, it’s nearly 4am here, and this Mama better catch some sleep before everyone is awake. I doubt there will be an opportunity to nap tomorrow, with all the birthday fun.
I suppose it’s actually today, not tomorrow. But I haven’t slept yet, therefore it’s still tomorrow. Or, however that works. Uh….. I should sleep.
She loves it.
BODICE: Candy Castle Patterns – Peppermint Swirl. I accidentally cut that front V a little low. It was fine on the lining, but I cut the sheer material lower by accident, so cut the extra out of the lining to match. I made the regular size 5. Should have made her a slim fit instead. Pattern here.
SLEEVES: Candy Castle Patterns – Swizzle Sticks Sleeves Add-On. I made the short sleeves with elastic casing in a size 5. Pattern here.
SKIRT: This is a more complicated answer. I cut the skirt lengths to that of the size 5 from the Candy Castle Patterns – Candy Castle Princess Dress. Pattern here. That’s really the only thing I used from that pattern, the lengths for the skirts. The widths were just that of the fabric. Then I attached my ruffler foot and ruffled them along the width of the fabric (after serging the edge first). I think I had my ruffler foot set to a 1, and the screw turned past the 1 for the lining, and I think to the 4 for the sheer fabric. I then used the concept from Peek-A-Boo Patterns blog post Belle Inspired Dress-Up Free Pattern. However, I don’t have that much elastic. I might. But my elastic bin is all tangled and didn’t want to waste time untangling it. I opted to do shirring to accomplish a similar effect. And because it was late and I wasn’t thinking, I joined the skirts together at the top before attaching to the bodice, and at the back seam. I should have done the back seams separately, because the back of the skirt looks funny there. Pick-up style everywhere and then weirdly long at the back where the seam is. It bugs me. And there is zero chance I’m showing a picture of it. It is the one thing I hate about the dress and wish I could take back. I’m also lazy and don’t want to unpick the seged seam. She loves it, and it doesn’t bother her. So, I’ll try and let it go.
I’m linking up, here.