About a week and a half ago I wrote this post and mentioned I’d done a ton of sewing that week. Some of it I was able to share. Like the GYCT FREE Fox Coin Purse and the Bebelambs Hope Floats Tops that I’d made for River and Danica and the Labri Maxi for Elle. Here’s another pattern I sewed up that busy week.
This is the Dandelions ‘N Dungarees Retro Frock. The pattern can be found here on their website, and here on Craftsy. The size range is currently 2T-7, but I believe their are plans in the works to go up to size 16.
I actually blogged about the Retro Frock here, here, and here. Yes, this is the Hulk Smash pocket dress. And seriously, Hulk Smash. Those pockets are my least favourite thing in the world. The instructions have been changed since testing, and come with a better illustration.
This was my first attempt at the Retro Frock. Unfortunately, I completely sewed the pockets wrong. They’re suppose to be where the white side panel is. They’re not. They’re inside. The only way Danica would be able to use those pockets would be to pull her arms into her sleeves and reach down. And since the pockets aren’t right that threw everything else off. The neckline is too high, for one things.
I made a second attempt. This time shortening to a tunic length and omitting and sleeve options. I just needed to get the pockets right. Then the neckline would fall into place correctly, and I’d be able to test the facing pieces. I didn’t need to re-test the sleeves. They weren’t affected by the incorrectly constructed pockets.
I actually like this one. The first one I’ll have to mess about with a bit and get those pockets opened up. It won’t take much. I’m just annoyed at it still and don’t want to be bothered right now. Danica likes the tunic length one as well. So, it’s not all bad, I suppose.